Housing Legal Services
Housing Legal Services provide advocacy and legal representation for tenants with housing needs in court and through policy advocacy. Each year, we handle over 3,000 cases and prevent almost 1,000 evictions (a success rate of over 95%), in addition to eliminating harassment and ensuring landlords make necessary repairs.
What We Do:
- Advocacy and/or representation in housing court or administrative venues like the Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR) or the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA).
- Assistance applying for charitable funds for rent arrears.
- When we see patterns of issues, we represent tenants in group and class action cases to change housing policy in New York City.
Who We Do it For:
- Tenants who live in Manhattan or the Bronx. We give priority to tenants who live in one of these zip codes: 10026, 10027, 10029, 10034, 10035, 10452, and 10453.
- We make final decisions about who we can represent based on the tenant’s specific case and our ability to take new cases.
How to Sign Up:
Call our Housing Hotline at 929-512-4565 on Wednesdays from 9 am to 12 pm. Manhattan residents in housing court may also be assigned to us by the court.
When you contact us, please have this information ready:
- Government identification if you have it (e.g., a state ID or passport).
- Social security card if you have one.
- Proof of income (e.g., pay stubs, SSI/SSD award letter, HRA letter).
- All court documents if you are in court.
- Any other documents about your housing, like your lease and rent bill.