Program: Consumer Debt
Program Snapshot: Advocacy and legal representation for residents with consumer debt issues including active consumer debt court cases, judgments, frozen bank accounts, and garnishment of wages.
Services: Based on eligibility and need, services can include
- Advocacy with creditors and creditors’ legal representation.
- Representation in civil court.
Eligibility: Individuals may be eligible if they are
- Are New York City residents.
- NMIC makes final eligibility decisions after screening on a case-by-case basis based on agency capacity and the legal merits of the case (priority will be given to individuals with income subject to collection, which generally means at least some income from employment).
How to Enroll:
- Intake is held at our Main Office (45 Wadsworth Avenue) on the last Thursday of each month from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
- Applicants are seen by appointment only. Please call ahead to schedule.
- All prospective clients should bring:
- Identification and social security card (if available)
- Proof of income (e.g., pay stubs, SSI/SSD award letter, and/or case composition and benefits issued printouts from HRA)
- All court documents (if applicable)
- All communication from or with creditors or collection agencies.
- Please call Cathleen Morales at 212-822-8300 x447