WHO TO CALL
NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DoHMH)
NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD):
- Lead Poisoning Prevention Program Hotline 212- BAN-LEAD
] TDD 212-442-1820.
- General questions
- For information on how and where to get a child screened,
or treated, if necessary for lead (or call 311)
- For inspection of lead paint (if there is a lead-poisoned child
- Lead Poisoning Prevention Program Lead Abatement Safety Unit: 311
- If the person repairing lead paint hazards is making a mess or
unsafe work practices (failure to use Exclusive Interim Controls) when
lead-based paint hazards are being repaired
NYC Department of Environmental Protection enforcement phone numbers
- To report deteriorated or peeling lead paint (if child not lead
- otherwise, call Department of Health), call 311
- For information on applying for J51 tax credits to do lead
abatement work, call 212-863-5517
NYC Public Advocate, Ombudsman 212-669-7250.
- To get water tested for lead
New York City Department of Education:
- Can assist if City agencies do not respond quickly or properly
lead problems in the home.
federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA): 732-321-6709
- Chief Executive - School Facilities: James Lonergan,
718-349-5702. Fax 718-349-5766
- Director Office of Environmental Health and Safety: Bernard
- Monitoring and School Improvement: Ron Woo : 718-374-5398, Ext.
- School Construction: William H. Goldstein: 718-472-8001
federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) National Lead
Information Center: 800-424-LEAD
- to file a complaint of an unsafe lead abatement in violation of
or to find out whether a contractor is certified by EPA to perform lead
federal Consumer Product Safety Commission: 800-638-2772.
- information and questions about HUD regulations and programs on
real estate disclosure laws.
- Information on products that contain lead, such as toys, candles.
New York City Regional Lead Centers-Call to Make an Appointment for
your child at their lead clinics:
Lead Safe Houses - Temporary shelter for families in lead-free
while the landlord or the City are removing lead hazards from a
- Kings County Hospital: 718-245-3612
- Montefiore Medical Center Lead Clinic: 718-920-5016
New York City Coalition to End Lead Poisoning: (212)
Ext. 204. A coalition of parents and activists working to
lead poisoning in New York.
- Montefiore Lead Safe House (Bronx) (718) 547-2789.
- Northern Manhattan Lead Safe House (Manhattan) (212)
- Ridgewood Bushwick Lead Safe House (Brooklyn/Queens) (718) 386
Citywide Taskforce on Housing Court: (212) 962-4266. Call for
information on going to the Housing Court to obtain orders for the
of lead paint and other repairs.
Legal Services for New York: (212) 431-7200. Legal Aid
(212) 577 3300 Provides free legal services in housing matters for
on public assistance. Have local offices in the various boroughs.
.. Back to main page