In this newsletter, you’ll learn about…
- NMIC’s Benefit, Juntos: Building Without Limits.
- Why Stress Awareness Month is significant to us at NMIC.
- How to participate in Denim Day 2022.
- Why is financial literacy important?
- How to sign-up for NYC Celebrates Women Brunch Fundraiser.
Save the Date for Juntos: Building Without Limits
Through the pandemic, our team at NMIC saw our community’s needs rapidly shift and increase. With your support, we rose to meet the challenge and worked nimbly to address these crises. Although we’ll never know what tomorrow brings, we know that our community will continue to persevere and build without limits, but we can only accomplish that together.
Our 2022 Benefit, Juntos: Building Without Limits, will be an evening to celebrate and recognize the innovative partnerships that have supported our efforts. Join us on June 9th, 2022, from 6PM – 7:30PM at The Hudson, 348 Dyckman St. New York, NY 10034 in advocating for those we serve and raising funds to help us reimagine a future without limits! We’re grateful for all the support we receive, without which none of these services would be possible.
Community tickets start at $250 and are available to anyone who would like to attend.
Stress Awareness Month 2022
Stress Awareness Month has been recognized every April since 1992, but this year it seems especially important. Due to the unusual circumstances related to the pandemic, we have all felt at one point an increase in stress and/or anxiety. The chronic stress related to COVID-19 has produced profound impacts on the long-term mental health of our community. Although all services provided by NMIC aspire to alleviate stressful situations, we saw an urgent need within the past two years to increase access to tools and strategies for community members to learn how to cope with stress and mental health needs.
We partnered with the van Ameringen Foundation to remove barriers to mental health care by increasing screenings for treatment referrals for residents so that they could heal with culturally competent service providers at no cost. Not only did we make significant efforts to support members of the community, but we also helped our staff cope with pandemic related stress through weekly support groups, run by our team of interns through our partnership with Teachers College at Columbia University.
We hope, both internally and externally, that NMIC is seen as a safe space of healing, where staff and community members alike are supported, especially during challenging times.
To learn more about NMIC’s Juntos Podemos, Connections to Care, program, click here.
Denim Day 2022
Join us on April 27, 2022, to participate in Denim Day. Denim Day is a campaign to commemorate Sexual Assault Awareness Month. The campaign began 23 years ago after a ruling by the Italian Supreme Court where a rape conviction was overturned because the justices wrongfully believed that the survivor’s jeans provided enough evidence of implied consent, and the case was closed. The following day, the women in Italian parliament came to work wearing jeans as a symbol of solidarity with the victim.
Denim Day asks community members to make a social statement through their outfits by wearing jeans as a visible means of protest against the misconceptions that surround sexual violence.
Financial Literacy Month
All New Yorkers qualify for our financial empowerment services, regardless of income or immigration status.
Throughout the month of April, organizations across the country conduct a variety of events and carry out initiatives designed to improve financial literacy and promote financial security.
NMIC promotes financial literacy daily through providing New Yorkers with free one-on-one professional financial coaching and counseling to help our clients achieve their goals. In fact, NMIC is a NYC Financial Empowerment Center!
We have partnered with Neighborhood Trust Financial Partners and the NYC Office of Financial Empowerment to enhance the financial literacy and stability of our clients through our financial empowerment services. Our professional Financial Counselors are available to provide personalized guidance and help our clients address a wide range of personal financial topics, like taking control of debt, strengthening credit scores, making savings a routine, balancing a budget, opening a bank account, and more.
NYC Celebrates Women Brunch Fundraiser
We are excited to announce that NMIC will be partnering with NYC Celebrates Women for their third annual Brunch Fundraiser to celebrate International Women’s Day.
Join us on Sunday, May 21, from 11:00am-3:00pm at the Harmonie Club in Midtown Manhattan for an afternoon of food, networking, and discussion.
A group of successful women of color in entrepreneurship will present and discuss how they established and developed their flourishing businesses. Proceeds from this event will be donated to NMIC in support of our no cost wrap-around services for 14,000 members of our community annually.
Other Events in April
- Day of Silence, April 8, 2022: Day of Silence is Gay, Lesbian, & Straight Education Network’s annual day of action to spread awareness about the effects of the bullying and harassment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning students. In the United States, students take a day-long vow of silence to symbolize the silencing of LGBTQ students.
- Immigrant Heritage Week, April 11-17, 2022: The celebration commemorates April 17, 1907, when 11,000 immigrants, the most in one day, passed through Ellis Island in New York Harbor.
- Earth Day, April 22, 2022: Earth Day is an annual event on April 22 to demonstrate support for environmental protection. First held on April 22, 1970, it now includes a wide range of events coordinated globally by EarthDay.org including 1 billion people in more than 193 countries.
- Denim Day NYC, April 27th at 10:00 AM: Join Denim Day NYC Coalition’s annual Denim Day March on Wednesday, April 27th at 10am from Brooklyn Borough Hall, over the Brooklyn Bridge to Foley Square in Manhattan. Join Survivors, advocates, models, fashionistas, and allies in marching and rallying against sexual violence. Further information can be found here.
- Denim Day Bronx March, April 28th at 3:30 PM: Participating Denim Day organizations will be marching against sexual assault. Join Denim Day NYC Coalition’s annual march on Thursday, April 28th at 3:30 PM at Grand Concourse and Mt. Eden, and wear denim to show your support! Participating organizations include Office of Bronx Borough President Vanessa L. Gibson, BronxCare’s Department of Pediatrics, Kingsbridge Heights Community Center, New Settlement Apartments, Fountain House Bronx, NOMW Clube Alternatives, and the Mayor’s Office to End Domestic and Gender-Based Violence. Further information can be found here.
- National Child Abuse Prevention Month, April 2022: National Child Abuse Prevention Month, also known as Child Abuse Prevention Month in America, is an annual observance in the United States dedicated to raising awareness and preventing child abuse. April has been designated Child Abuse Prevention Month in the United States since 1983.
NMIC in the Press
- Mayor Adams appoints new members, including NMIC co-founder Kevin Sullivan, to NYC Districting Commission. Click here to read more.